Great Lent leads us to the celebration of Christ’s Resurrection at Great and Holy Pascha (Easter) on April 24th. This year Lent begins March 7th and will continue through Palm Sunday on April 17th (the Eastern Orthodox Church calculates the date of Easter differently than Western Christianity). Holy Week is then April 18th through April 22nd.
Participating in Divine Services during Lent affords us more opportunity to come together in this repentant and joyful journey. Shown are major church services for Lent, Pascha and the time until Pentecost (see schedule for times and more detail):
- Every Sunday: Matins 8:30AM & Divine Liturgy 10:00AM
- Monday thru Thursday First Week of Lent (Mar 7-10):
Compline with The Great Canon of St. Andrew of Crete
- Throughout Great Lent, Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6PM:
The Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts (on Fridays, followed by a Meal)
- March 25th, Holy Annunciation
- April 16th, Lazarus Saturday
- April 17th, Palm Sunday
- April 18th-22nd, Holy Week:
Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday – Evening Bridegroom Services
Thursday – Institution of the Last Supper & Passion Gospels
Friday – Royal Hours, Taking down from the Cross, & Lamentations
Saturday – Baptism of Catechumens, Vesperal Liturgy, Midnight Office
- April 24th, Great and Holy Pascha, Resurrection of Our Lord, Jesus Christ
Celebrated in the first hours of morning, right after midnight Saturday
- April 25th-30th, Bright Week
- June 2nd, Ascension of Our Lord, Jesus Christ
- June 12th, Holy Pentecost
The Lenten Prayer of St. Ephraim
O Lord and Master of my life! Give me not the spirit of idleness, despondency, ambition, and idle talking
But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to Thy servant.
Yea, O Lord and King! Grant me to see my own transgressions and not to judge my brother, for blessed art Thou, unto ages of ages.